Information for Future StudentsClick here for guidance

DAc & MAc Programs

DAc & MAc Programs

International Applicants (DAc & MAc)

Five Branches University welcomes international applicants from all over the world. We support a diverse cultural and bilingual environment, offering our graduate and postgraduate programs in English and Chinese:

Graduate Degrees

  • Doctor of Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine  – DAcHM
  • Master of Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine – MAcHM
  • Doctor of Acupuncture – DAc
  • Master of Acupuncture – MAc

Postgraduate Degrees

  • Postgraduate Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine – Postgraduate DAOM
  • Postgraduate Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine / PhD (China) – Postgraduate DAOM/PhD

Five Branches defines an international applicant as someone who is a citizen or permanent resident of a country, other than the United States, and who wishes to pursue a graduate or postgraduate degree at our university.

We recommend international applicants begin the admissions process six months to one year prior to the desired enrollment date. It is important to write your name, as it appears on your passport, on your application and all supplemental documents. International students are not eligible for U.S. federal financial aid.

International Application Requirements

International applicants applying for an F-1 student visa through Five Branches University, follow the same application process as new students, but are required to submit additional documents:

  1. A photocopy of the first page of your passport If you have dependents, please include a photocopy of the first page of each dependent’s passport.
  2. Transcript evaluation Transcripts from prior undergraduate or TCM education completed in another country must be reviewed by a credential evaluation agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Transcripts need to be evaluated on a course-by-course basis and include the total number of earned credits and cumulative GPA. The evaluation should be sent directly to Five Branches University by the evaluating agency. We recommend World Educational Services (WES),
  3. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) If you are an international applicant and have completed at least a two-year (60 semester credit or 90 quarter credit) baccalaureate level education from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education, or from an equivalent English language institution in another country, the TOEFL or IELTS tests are not required. Otherwise, if you are an international applicant, whose native language is not English, you are required to complete the TOEFL internet-based test (iBT) or the IELTS exam. The minimum scores to achieve on these tests are as follows:
    Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL® iBT) Total: 61
    International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Academic Format Overall band: 6
    Duolingo English Test 90
    China Standard of English Language (CSE) CSE 6
    Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE) C
    Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) C
    Common European Framework Reference (CEFR) B2
    Occupational English Test (OET) 250, C
    Pearson Test of English (PTE), Academic Overall: 45

    When taking the TOEFL, please enter the appropriate Five Branches University assigned code on the Score Report Request Form:

    Santa Cruz campus code: 4459
    San Jose campus code: 5881

  4. Financial Statement A Financial Statement, certified by a financial institution, verifying the availability of at least $35,000 in U.S. dollars. This amount should cover your education and living expenses for one academic year. If you need the university to issue an I-20 for your dependents, you will need to calculate an additional $5,000 for each dependent. In addition, you may want to consider having additional funds for off-campus months and miscellaneous expenses. We recommend having approximately $7,000 for this purpose. The total funds indicated on the financial statement must equal the total estimated expenses.

    If your tuition or living expenses are going to be partially or fully paid by a sponsor, the Financial Statement must be signed by your sponsor, stating they assume financial responsibility for the designated amount. In addition, each sponsor must include a bank statement or letter from the financial institution where the account is held, showing U.S. dollars (or currency equivalence) totaling or exceeding the amount needed. The sponsor’s name on the Financial Statement must be the same name as shown on the official bank statement or letter.

  5. Health Insurance International students must provide proof of health insurance coverage prior to student registration. Due to the high costs of medical insurance in the United States it may be advantageous to purchase health insurance coverage in your home country. We recommend you purchase a healthcare policy for yourself and any dependents, with a minimum coverage of 250,000 per incident, and a deductible of no more than $500 per person, per year. Prior to your arrival into the United States, we recommend you obtain medical records for you and your dependents from your primary physician. These should include a medical history describing previous illnesses, surgeries, and records of all immunizations, including those received in childhood. In addition, since dental costs in the U.S. tend to be considerably higher than most other countries, you are advised to have any necessary dental work completed in your home country prior to your arrival.

International Applicants Currently Studying in the U.S.

If you are an international student who is currently on an F-1 student visa, enrolled at another college or university in the U.S., you must submit the following documents along with your application materials:

  1. A photocopy of your visa, contained in your passport
  2. A photocopy of your I-20 Form

Once you have been accepted to Five Branches University, a Transfer Release Form must be signed by your current school’s admissions office, verifying you have maintained your visa status and are eligible for transfer. Please contact the Five Branches admissions office to receive a copy of this form. If you are out of status and your current SEVIS record is complete or has been terminated, our International Student Officer (ISO) must contact the ISO at your school, prior to the release of your records.